Winter Weather Advisory

A Rarity

>> Saturday, April 2, 2011

I can't even remember snow in April.  Flurries, perhaps.  But not snow.  The kind you can see on the grass and actually measure.  When I woke up Friday morning I did the same thing I always do when snow has been forecast for the previous night.  I lifted the shade on the window.  Nothing.

For a few days the accumulations had varied greatly.  Even though my exact location never once was issued an advisory, Lehigh county did receive multiple watches.  In fact, I believe Wednesday into Thursday alone, the city at least at one time or another either had a winter weather watch, warning or advisory.  And totals ranged from one to ten inches.  Yet Friday morning I look out the window and see nothing but a wet road with light drizzle falling.

45 minutes later and I looked out at this...


I would have taken pictures of a more noticeable amount but I had to leave.  I can't recall driving in snow as heavy or with flakes as large as this little April snowfall.  Driving into work I had my wipers going one notch below full.  Visibility had to be less than a quarter mile.  It was a great and wacky way to end an interesting season.  Heavy snow, didn't stick to roads, lasted maybe two hours and was pretty much completely incorrectly predicted. 

Not many places reported totals, but I was able to copy the public info screen on the NOAA site for a few select locations.  I get a bigger kick at looking at the date of this report.


No locations in the Valley reported and I don't think the report in Kutztown is entirely accurate, though working not far from there, I don't think it is way off either.  Regardless, I enjoyed the last snow of the 2010-11 season.  Here is a lasting image to enjoy for the majority of those ready to look ahead.  Video of the flakes can also be enjoyed on the right side of this page.

Even the flowers are ready for Spring.  (Photo from The Morning Call)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP