Winter Weather Advisory

Cape to Cape

>> Saturday, January 7, 2017

Weekend snowstorms offer numerous possibilities.  I had considered some options or at the very least did research.  Needless to say, there is a lot that goes into making a decision to travel for a snowstorm.  In an instance like this the best of the worst conditions were predicted to be in an area that was a decent distance to the south or deep into New England.  In my mind it shaped up to be a Cape May to Cape Cod storm.  I went long into Friday night looking at the maps and forecast totals.  Eventually I came up with a back up plan to avoid going far to the north or the south.  By early Saturday morning I was back looking at the maps.  There had been a consistent shift north and west and now it was looking like we would actually see snow.  That made it pretty easy.

My enjoyment has more to do with watching it snow and less about the actual amount.  I'd like to see a good coastal snow at the beach at some point.  Just like I would be interested in being stationed under a lake effect snow band as it comes down at three inches an hour.  I'll save it for another weekend.  As the snow moved in this morning I quickly changed gears to get ready for a run.  Since the heavier snow was further east, that would be the direction I would go.

Along the river past Freemansburg.





Eventually I reached my turn around spot at the boat launch.  You can see the bridge for route 33 in the distance.

 

Over two hours and 15 miles later I returned.  It snowed the entire time.  Within 30 minutes of my return it had stopped.  

While our immediate area has missed out on any sizable snowfall over the past month, in actuality the Lehigh Valley is right at average.  Even I had trouble believing it.  It's because all the little amounts are adding up.  For instance, without including today, Allentown has recorded measurable snow on 12 days this winter (last season it was 9 all winter).  The average snowfall for November and December is around 6 inches.  Allentown recorded 5.3.  Not bad considering there was 0.0 inches recorded last year and the first inch of the season wasn't recorded until January 22nd which I think we all remember that one.

Speaking of that historic event, my next post will be a 2016 weather review that will be sure to recap that storm.  

1 comments:

Anonymous,  January 8, 2017 at 9:42 AM  

RD-Glad to see you're posting again...and enjoying your runs in the snow. Always love the videos and pics! Just be SAFE!
DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP