Winter Weather Advisory

When Winter Ends

>> Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My blog seems to suffer a fate similar to winter as the snow stops so do my posts.  The reality is our local weather tends to get boring for a few weeks or maybe a month.  I'm a big fan of winter but right now I don't think anybody could be complaining about our warm days filled with sunshine and cool nights to let the windows open.  We have snuggled into a very calm pattern that shows no real sign of ending.  Even April was quiet.  Our average temperature for the month (Reading) ended up being 53.  A whole one degree higher than the normal average.  And the April showers never materialized.

Now what I would like to do is give a final 2012-13 winter briefing to discuss the winning cities across the country, how we did locally and also some of my blogger picks.  Trust me, I'd love to still be talking about winter on the first of May.  While I'd like to wrap up my report with a post or two, others are still living it.  I can't even begin to remember the last time I had the Weather Channel on.  Are they still naming winter storms?  They have to be at letter Z by now.  Here is another to add to the list.  In MAY.

Winter in the plains won't stop.  Some of the April snow totals have been astounding.  Duluth and Rapid City had their snowiest months ever recorded this April.  Not snowiest April ever.  Snowiest month ever recorded.  We can shut the book on those and open up a whole new book for May.  From Minnesota to Iowa to Nebraska to Kansas more snow will fall this week.  I think it is fairly certain this will be the last storm for any major cities this year.  It's all still very bizarre.

On the opposite side of the spectrum and in the category of good news, the 2013 season has been very quiet in terms of severe weather.  This is normally the time the southeast and south become a breeding ground for tornadic activity.  Not this spring.  Nobody complaining about that.

Sit back and enjoy these beautiful days or get outside and run, hike, bike, walk, or whatever else it is you desire as you never know when things will change.  Next post, assuming the snow stops, will be a late season winter recap.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  May 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM  

RD-well, nice to see you're still around!

A winter re-cap of your predictions would be fun to read and to see how accurate you were compared to other prognosticators.

DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP