Winter Weather Advisory

Lehigh Preserve

>> Sunday, September 20, 2015

Little late in covering this event.  Oh well.  This happened the day after my Trexler run.

My lack of planning got me again.  There are some instances where thinking ahead is needed.  Instead of my original intention I ended up staying local and exploring a new area.

Now I have to admit my legs were sore.  It had far less to do with running and more with the introduction of squats back into my workout on Friday.  Resting or taking it easy would have been the best approach had it not been such a nice weekend.  I might not enjoy the heat but seeing the sun is something I will miss as winter approaches.

You wouldn't know it but across the river among the trees is a series of trails.  There are no designated parking areas.  There are no guides.  You won't find the trails on a Google map.  I first found out about this hidden secret on a Pennsylvania trail website.  Strava users confirmed it.  Yet I never ventured over.

It's awesome to live in an area that has this sort of access to trails and parks.  What a difference a mile or two can make.  After crossing the hill to hill and making an immediate right, Brighton curves towards the river before the hospital.  It's a stark change from the bustle of 378.  A sign warns of no trespassing from the company tucked around the way.  Hop the curb and hang a left and enter the Lehigh Preserve.

I had no intention of exploring the whole thing.  That can be saved for a cooler day when I am more rested.  My objective was to find my way to the top of the hill where there is a small park, then run down through Fountain Hill.  Virtually all trails I use are multipurpose in some form.  Many like rails to trails are wide, perhaps paved and family friendly.  Others like the Appalachians can be quite narrow.  All tend to be maintained by some type of organization.  As far as I know the trails in this woods were created by mountain bikers.  It keeps the wooded area quite dense.



With few markings and trails that circle and cut through each other I found my way to the top without issue.  That alone was pleasing.  The vegetation did a great job at keeping in the heat and humidity along with not allowing in a breeze.  Needless to say I didn't see any people or deer in my short exploration.  Part of the fun in this route is getting to view Bethlehem from the streets of Fountain Hill.  It's a different perspective and not one you normally get to see.











Well worth future exploring.  It also adds another spot to go to that is accessible from my front door.

Here is a look at the area on a map.


  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP