Winter Weather Advisory

Trexler Preserve

>> Saturday, September 5, 2015

I've traveled across much of eastern Pennsylvania in search of new trails whether it be for running or biking.  Some how this hidden gem eluded all those searches.  It wasn't until someone else had heard from someone else about this area full of trails to explore.  It was so off my radar that when I heard this I couldn't comprehend what amazing trail system was hiding at Trexler Park.

What makes this more intriguing is that the first ever organized running event I did was four years ago at the Lehigh Valley Zoo.  I finished 9th in the 5k which had over 250 people.  Not bad for a first race.  The rest is basically history as I've been trotting around ever since.  I've never been back to that race since that day even though I probably should.  The reason I mention this run at the zoo is because it is in the heart of the preserve.  The same preserve I basically never knew existed until today.

I had no game plan for today.  In fact by the time I decided I needed to go outside I briefly planned on a different destination before considering the drive time was not worth it.  Trexler Preserve was now the spot.  I chuckled thinking as I got ready that even on a Saturday I was heading for Rt 22 west.  It was far less funny when I was atop the overpass on 378 and did my normal glance down to the highway below.  It wasn't moving.  This is a Saturday at noon.  So as quickly as I got onto the highway I immediately got off, headed north and then snaked my way west which included stops near the Lehigh Valley mall.  An hour later and I had found my desired parking spot.  Not off to the best start.

I already knew the route I was taking.  It would be roughly nine miles of trail that bordered the boundaries of the park.  Terrain would be mostly rolling hills with a decent amount of elevation changes.  The one concern when tackling an unknown trail is if it is marked well (and now bears).  Thankfully this one was.

Normally I would not hit the trails in the middle of the day especially with warm temperatures.  As I said earlier this was not in my plans.  The elevation changes happened quickly.  With my legs feeling fairly decent early on I tackled the first hill hard.  At the same time there were about ten Asian hikers coming down.  A few in the middle didn't notice me as they were focused on their footing.  Since the trail in that section was wide enough for one person I went up on the grassy side clearly startling one woman.  The border trail wasn't well shaded in many spots and it wasn't long before I started slowing down in the heat.

Before I continue in what I promise won't be a detailed outline of every mile, I have to note that I have a great ability no matter what trail, path or street I am on to be able to spot wildlife especially deer.  Even within Bethlehem I have seen one jogging the river path, in my own neighborhood and on the Lehigh campus.  Yet I've never seen one while driving.  Today was no exception.  As I came down off one of the hills and into a more vegetated, marshy area I looked to my left and looking right back at me was a baby deer.


Of course by the time I got my camera out he turned away.  But I did get another picture when he retreated to a safer location to monitor this unsuspecting visitor.


Between mile 5 and 6 I came up very quickly on a buck under a tree.  I saw him before he saw me but unlike this younger deer as I went for my camera he noticed me and took off.  With my great knowledge of wildlife the first thing I thought when I caught a glimpse of him standing there was, holy crap a moose.  In my defense you are running through a preserve and zoo so who knows what animals might be near by.

I continued on my journey along the ridge of the park and was able to snap these views from the trail.  One facing north and the second looks into the preserve.









































Near the four mile mark I came across a river crossing I was unaware of and quite happy to see.  I used this crossing to my advantage to cool me off.  Also good to know this is here because had this been a different time of year I would have been wading through chest high water instead of the shin high amount today.

Either the cooling water or excess shade provide me an extra boost for the last half.  I took time to stop and take one last picture of the trail in a more colorful section.






















About a mile or so from the parking lot I once again passed the same group of Asian hikers that I had passed on the hill when I first began.  At this point they appeared stunned as one smiled and gave me a thumbs.  It just so happened that at both points I passed them I was running at a decent clip.  I probably walked a third of the trail.

I haven't kept decent records of my own but I'd have to think this is one of the more up and down trails I have ever done.  I would have to go back to some of my Appalachian runs near Hamburg to find similar elevation changes.

PERSONAL NOTE

When I gifted myself the current watch I'm using at the end of 2013 I figured it would help keep me active since it records various information that I find interesting to look at.  There is also a website that keeps your personal statistics.  Since the first day of 2014 all my runs and biking trips have been recorded.  With the almost nine mile run today I official went over the 1,000 mile running mark since I began using the watch.  That's the equivalent of driving from Philadelphia to Orlando.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP