Winter Weather Advisory

Weird Continued

>> Thursday, February 25, 2016

Flooding rains, ice and snow.  No, it's not a recap of the weather around the country.  It's what I've experienced on my commute this week.  A normal winter went out the window awhile ago.

One of the more intriguing things about a 30 mile commute each day through three counties is seeing the difference in weather conditions.  Add in elevation and it can become even different.  I could write a summary every week of the differences I notice.

With temperatures in the 30's on Tuesday the light precipitation had all frozen onto the trees as I went home after work for the majority of my drive where the elevation was above 800 feet.  I wasn't too surprised.  I also knew the roads would be fine after highs in the 50's the day before.  After a lot of years of following weather it can really help to understand situations.  Yesterday the torrential downpours came through.  Nothing severe in my area however the rainfall amounts were quite high.  Almost three inches in Allentown which was by far the highest amount I saw in the region.  It's the highest I have seen the local river and creeks since I moved here.  And then today on my way home on the hill there was a steady light snow falling for about 10 miles of the trip. 

Highs this week were in the 30's, 50's and 60's.  Highs in the upcoming days will likely be in the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's.  Now the question becomes what's left of winter? 

There are two systems to follow for the upcoming week.  One will be for the Wednesday-Thursday time period and the other for the weekend.  Easier to focus on the first.  Right now we would be in the warm sector of the storm.  Rainfall could be heavy at times with blustery conditions especially on the back end.  The storm would help usher in some colder air for the end of the week.  That's when we would start to get into the next storm.  Too far away for anything.  The European is also less that impressed so no need to follow the GFS closely for now.

Now to sports... If the outdoor series of NHL games hasn't worn out it's welcome yet (one game a year please Gary) wait until this weekend.  Break out the board shorts and tanks and dare I say flip-flops.  Nothing says hockey better than high temperatures during the day in the 70's.  Luckily somebody smart decided to hold the game at night when temperatures will be a more chill hockey temperature of 60 something.  I believe Denver will now host the first, what I call, hockey polo game.  It's a combination of water polo and lacrosse.


As noted earlier, I often see quite a variety of different types of weather on my commute.  Today was no different except that maybe it was.  As the sun came up from the east, a line of moderate showers was approaching from the west.  You can see from the picture below the sun shining off the brick building compared to the grayish haze in the direction of Allentown.  Sunlight and water droplets.   


1 comments:

Anonymous,  February 26, 2016 at 8:10 AM  

RD-Good blog! And great picture! That building is the "pot o' gold!"

We actually saw some robins on Monday during our walk up/down the hills. So here's hoping spring is near!

DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP