Winter Weather Advisory

High and Dry July

>> Saturday, July 16, 2011

I've often focused on the Allentown area even though I don't live in the actual Lehigh Valley. Other times I talk about Philadelphia, but technically I don't live in the Delaware Valley either. So for this post I will talk about my area, what I will call the Delahigh Valley or for definition purposes, the area in between.

Nobody can argue that this July has not been hot. Not unbearably hot, but warm nonetheless. One of those perfect months that people abuse pools and local fountains. The bigger issue however is the dryness. It's just hasn't rained. This is why I singled my specific area out this time. Both Philadelphia and Allentown have received over 1.25 inches of rain this July. Dry. But technically at the midway point of the month, not terrible. Reading this July? How about 1/2 an inch.

This is where I look into my crystal ball and make a prediction. And here it is. Reading will not hit an inch of rain for the entire month. And, the high temperature will hit at least 90 every day for the rest of the month. Anybody want to break down the odds on this one?

Regardless of 100% accuracy, I hope you can agree with the picture below. If not, stay inside for the next two weeks.


Before I end my heat discussion, I thought it would be a good idea to explain a little weather terminology. We all know what the wind chill is in winter. It's almost self explanatory. However, as we near the end of this coming week, the term heat index will certainly get thrown around. The heat index takes the actual temperature and the relative humidity percentage to give what most would call a real feel. In other words, when the humidity (amount of water vapor in the air) is higher, the air feels hotter. Evaporation is slower, which means it is harder for the body to cool itself through perspiration.

Walk outside Thursday or Friday and the air will hit you like a wall.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  July 17, 2011 at 9:21 AM  

RD-I liked this post. Good, simple definition of 'heat index.'
Thanks,
DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP