Winter Weather Advisory

Got To Love Weather

>> Monday, November 28, 2011

It would be hard to complain right now about this winter so far.  After all, it hasn't started and we are already ahead of normal snowfall.  The lack of cold air though is a bit unsettling.  Especially when we sit here nearing the start of December at 65 degrees and there are winter storm warnings in Mississippi and Tennessee. 

I mentioned in a last post that there was nothing on the horizon in terms of potential storms.  While that has not changed, I want to be clear that it does not mean something will not evolve.  Earlier this fall I said I wanted to stay away from the hype of big storms weeks or days ahead of time when there are so many variables with living along the east coast.

Temperatures will turn more seasonably cooler by next week, even going below average.  How long that will last is somewhat of a mystery.  Signs point to a brief shot of cold with another warm up behind that.  There is a storm that would bring precip into our area around the 6th or 7th but again, like I might end up saying a lot this season, any snow would be inland.  It does open the door for the cold air I mentioned to invade from Canada.  Of course, there is no precipitation around to give us any snow.  I won't go any further than that.

But Hey, it's snowing in the south right now.  Some areas could see close to five inches.  Again, I will not complain but there are a few places up around the lakes that are really missing out this year.  Syracuse has still not hit an inch yet.  Memphis will after tonight.

I also couldn't help but notice while going through all my maps that it looks like Denver will see their third snowstorm of the season this week.  And this one looks like a good one with my early call of 8-14 inches.  Denver missed out last season so they deserve some of the white stuff this year.

You know how recently the NAO has become the term of the winter for everybody in this area.  In short if the NAO goes negative there is a blocking high over Greenland that alters the jet stream to bring cold air south and storms up the coast.  Well look away if you are squeamish at this forecast.



3 comments:

Anonymous,  November 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM  

RD-Nice blog-but I'm not sure what "NAO" stands for or what the chart means. I'm assuming the chart is a "predictor" of something to happen-but I don't know what that is?

Can you educate an old and confused man...?

DJG

r. david November 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

I talked about it before. When it turns negative, we have a better chance for getting coastal storms. Positive keeps the jet stream more west to east meaning cold air stays away and storms with snow miss us. This is unusually positive.

Anonymous,  November 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM  

RD-Then 'yeah!' for the chart!

DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP