Winter Weather Advisory

Ride The Train

>> Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The track remains as storms continue to push through the region.  New England took another sizable hit with this last one as Boston ended up with over 16 inches of additional snow.  There are now many places that have seen between 35 and 45 inches of snow during the last two storms.

I realize I might have missed two nor'easters.  Whether either qualified is up for discussion.  The first was the weak clipper that passed through then developed off the coast of Maine.  Snowfall did exceed 10 inches though the wind speed is questionable.  For this reason I will leave it off the nor'easter naming list.  The one that passed through Sunday into Monday will more than likely need a name and recap as the only question was did it even become a nor'easter which I believe it did off of Massachusetts.  For now we will skip it because well, you know, I have a job and stuff that limits my time on here.

Back to that train.  Patterns people.  If I'm betting money my guess is Boston keeps finding a way to get more snowstorms.  Whether we remain on the edge is a matter of question.

For whatever reason the European model is really getting its ass kicked by the GFS.  I should probably also check the models before I start writing.  The European tried hard to get this storm on the 5th up the coast.  GFS said not happening.  After looking at the models the European has all but given up except for some snow way out on the cape.

Both agree on very light snow Thursday.  I mean very light.  A coating would be pushing it.  Then we get into another disagreement for Sunday and Monday.  The GFS is holding onto a snow event.  I'm not sure what else to call it because it's not a coastal storm.  In fact the majority of snow stays south of the New York border.  In the latest run a slow moving system ends up forming a decent low off the coast of North Carolina before pushing out to sea.  It's at least something to keep an eye on.  Pennsylvania is dotted with 6-10 inch totals.  The Euro keeps the system to the north and moves it quickly.  According to that model we would be in the 1-3 inch totals and New England would again come out with a decent storm.

As a side note the Euro has had an off-again on-again fascination with a pretty good storm for the south.  South being Alabama-Georgia-South Carolina.  I don't see anything of note yet but with the way this next month might play out who knows.

I tend to think models do better with temperature trends as opposed to figuring out where storms will form and go.

 
Here is the predicted temperature trend from now until March 20th.  I'll let you figure it out.  I'll also say this.  You can break this down by five day stretches.  There wasn't one that showed temperatures above average for any period.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  February 4, 2015 at 7:04 AM  

RD-Boy, you're nothing but good news aren't you. While we appreciate your hard work and fun to read blogs, we're not happy with the weather...not your fault. I can handle 1-3" of light fluffy snow...6-10" I'm now struggling to shovel it because I have to lift it up 4-5 FEET to get it up on the existing piles! The same thing happened last year! So I'm going to breakdown and buy a snow blower...just not sure when yet. Maybe soon...maybe at the end of the winter season when they may go on sale.

Will be checking in with you to see how the Sunday/Monday storm forms.

DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP