Winter Weather Advisory

Not Done Yet

>> Thursday, March 9, 2017

Forgive me for the lack of posts.  An average high of 50 degrees in February will do that to a winter enthusiast.  Thankfully March has stepped up to the plate looking to hit a long ball.

First a quick recap.  If you've been away or hibernating 2017 has been warm.  Oddly warm.  Six days over 60 and three days over 70.  In turn we have seen very little in the way of snowfall.  Officially Allentown has picked up 10 inches this year thanks to one moderate storm in February.  Places further south have done even worse.  If we received no more snow the rest of the year this would be the second lowest seasonal snowfall since 2000.

Speaking of that February storm.  Back in the summer I asked which was the only date that has seen measurable snowfall every year since 2014.  In a following post I gave the answer below:

TRIVIA ANSWER:  The only date that has seen snow each of the past three years is February 9th. 
Well it only snowed on one day in February.  That was the day we recorded 7.1 inches.  Want to take a guess at the date?


BRING ON MARCH

How quickly we forget about this month when it comes to winter.  I'm not sure why.  It's basically a better version of December.  Some of the best storms ever produced occured in this month.  In the winter of 14-15 March recorded more snow than any other month at 17.8 inches.  It also snowed the first day of the month and the last day.

If the pattern holds it's likely this year will also see March come out on top.  To the maps.

First system is overnight tonight into tomorrow.  Survey says according to the GFS.


4 inches for Reading.  3 inches for Philadelphia.  5 inches for Allentown.  Euro and NAM are very similar.  I'd take the under if I were placing bets.  The equivalent might be 3 to 5 inches but I don't think the measured amount will be equal.

That weekend system drops way south and actually fizzles out.  So that's a miss.  I'm fine with that when you look at the beginning of next week.  Classic nor'easter.



I'm well aware this is multiple days away but the models have shown a large snowstorm now sine last weekend.  So yeah, I'm posting the amounts.


Keep in mind this includes the snowfall from the event tomorrow.  So knock off 4 or 5 inches and you have a 12-18 inch storm.  The Euro also has this on the map as a widespread foot storm.  Just keep a watchful eye on this one. 

Thank you March.


1 comments:

Anonymous,  March 9, 2017 at 11:15 PM  

RD-Thank you for your excellent and complete analysis of Friday's and next week's snow storms. You have officially bummed me out!

I thought for sure that March was going to be a "lamb" and that spring would mosey in on March 21st to mild temps and yard work.

I see now that I still can't store away my snow blower just yet. Oh, well . . . maybe the charts are just wrong.

Keep us posted on any changes to next week's storm. I think I can easily survive the Friday snow amounts (2-5") without too much trouble.

DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP