Winter Weather Advisory

Wintry Dynamic

>> Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Glad I got in a late post last night to up the totals a bit.  Looks like preliminary reports show ranges in the Delaware and Lehigh Valley's up towards five inches in spots.  We will have to wait for final totals until at least tomorrow.  Like always Reading is on top of things currently reporting zero.

I want to get a little bit into the dynamic and talk about what the Weather Channel also got into this morning.  I woke up a little before six and saw no snow on the ground.  I was a little perplexed.  However once I actually opened the front door I did notice it snowing very wet flakes, possibly even mixing in with rain.  I opened the radar up right away.  The rain snow line was just north of the area.  Then came the wonders of weather.  As the minutes kept progressing the line of snow moved slightly further south.  Before long it was a nice light snow.  The trend continued all around the area.  Except normally you would get the opposite affect as daylight approaches.  The snow falling into the atmosphere continued to cool the surface temperatures so that eventually the temps continued to fall to where snow could be supported.  Once the change occurred it was all snow.  The snow lasted until about 3:00 continually falling lightly to moderately. 

In the areas I was in with the temps just above 32, the snow tended to accumulate while melting at the same time.  Similarly, once it stopped snowing temps increased three to four degrees to the point where you could here it melting already.

Either way I will take a quick shot of winter a bit early.  The way the trends are going, we won't be seeing a return to cold or snow for awhile.  Got a couple pics after all of one hour of light snow before I was off to work.





RUN UPDATE

I don't normally get into updating any outdoor events I might be attending for reasons unknown to me since weather often plays a major influence with conditions.  However, it is getting to that time of season where things can get very interesting depending on the forecast. 

This past Sunday offered a fairly challenging 15k trail course through French Creek State park.  Now to the weather.  It was actually nice depending on what you consider nice is.  Never saw the sun and there was a solid breeze very noticeable when crossing the dam.  I'd guess basing off the high of the day at 39 that it was probably around 36 or 37 during the run that started at 10 a.m.  The dryness of November kept the course clean and if trees were lost after Sandy, I didn't really notice.

Kept the run relaxing starting towards the back of the group and keeping a steady pace.  Lot of single file running for the first few miles didn't help, but I was not in a big rush.  Finished with a solid 1:31:15.

Thanks for the pictures.


1 comments:

Anonymous,  November 28, 2012 at 6:25 AM  

RD-good comments and neat pics!

DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP