Winter Weather Advisory

Another Advisory

>> Sunday, January 27, 2013

Here we are beginning the new work week the same we ended this past work week.  The entire area is under a winter weather advisory and rightfully so.

Let's start however with this past powdery snow.  It's quite a treat to get snow when temperatures were as cold as they are.  Normally we experience a wetter snow since there is usually more moisture in the air.  Regardless, the light layer of snow was enough to cause problems with drivers on Friday and I expect the same tomorrow morning.

King of Prussia was the winner on Friday.  They managed to pull out 3.2 inches.  Most places were between one and two including Allentown and Philadelphia.  Of course Reading didn't report and the only amount I could find was 0.4.  I highly question that.  Either way the totals will be added.  The southern tier of the area did better as the models has indicated.

TOMORROW

The latest model and last I will be able to look at shows the precipitation moving in two different waves.  The first would start as and be predominantly snow.  Once again an inch or two is possible.  The second wave moves in later as temperatures move above freezing.  However temperatures will only get to around 35 and surface temperatures will likely be colder causing icing at some point.  It would look like this is going to start before rush hour in many places especially the further west you are.  Best idea is to check the conditions and radar in the morning and give yourself some extra time heading out.


A LOOK AHEAD

After tomorrow the next system will push in late Wednesday.  The low cuts up through Michigan which clearly puts us on the warm side of the system.  Not only that but there looks to be a decent amount of moisture with it.  I'd pick Green Bay as a target snow spot for this one.  Even Chicago could get a decent amount.  Wouldn't be surprised to see one to two inches of total rainfall for us.  The system also ushers in a fresh supply of cold air again going into the weekend.

Possibility of an Alberta clipper swinging through over the weekend.  That would give us the standard 1-3 snows.  Models don't show anything else developing with it right now.

I won't go any further than that.  NAO still showing a strong positive phase.


______________________________________________________________

RUN UPDATE

Lately it has been a struggle managing to have a race on an actual day it is cold or snowy.  I hadn't planned on joining a run but when I saw the forecast at the beginning of the week that included snow the day before and cold temperatures I knew I had to do it.



Those were the conditions about 15 minutes prior to the race.  I have no doubts this was by far the coldest race day temperature I have been out in.  The good thing was it wasn't windy which I thought could be an issue.

The entire run was around a school and little neighborhood.  It was a very simple run with no inclines and slightly snow covered streets and paths.  Enough people showed for this first ever 5k to make it a solid run but there were also I believe a lot of first timers or non-runners who just wanted to participate for the cause.  In fact, it spread out enough that for about half of the run there were times I couldn't see anybody in front of me.  It was like I was out by myself but also had to make sure I was going the right way.

All in all it was a nice little event especially for a first time group.  I was nursing a bit of a leg injury from last weekend that flared up again during the run that made the sitting around and waiting for awards at the end a bit uncomfortable, but I wanted to at least claim the prize.  Probably going to take a week off to let my muscles rest.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP