Winter Weather Advisory

Weather Delay

>> Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Won't get to post much in terms of the system moving through tonight.  Any winter weather from last night stayed further north as another low develops and tracks through tonight.  Wouldn't you know, the rain/ice/snow line happens to cut right through our area.  It's almost like it happens every time.  It doesn't, but you don't see this happening in State College or Scranton often.

Part of the reason I wanted to at least get a brief post in tonight was because of something I complained about earlier this winter.  I'm not a fan of posting weather watches for entire counties so that towns a few miles apart but in different counties could have completely different forecasts.  Well, the weather service must have been hearing my cries.  Look at the map.



Well done National Weather Service.  Nothing extreme.  Nobody has more than an advisory.  Bolder?  For the first time that I can recall in winter, there are advisories out for portions of a county.  If you look at Chester, Montgomery and Bucks, only the northern sections have the advisory.  It's also another clear indication of just how close these areas are between dealing with tricky driving tomorrow or wet roads.

Most places are looking at 1-2 inches of snow and sleet with a coating of ice to go along with it.  I'm not particularly convinced this will happen at least for the area directly outside of my door.  It started to rain as I was writing this with temps at 37.  There still needs to be a cool down for anything to change over let only begin to stick.  The latest model has the heaviest precip moving through the area when the 32 degree line goes directly through the middle of Berks and just below Allentown.  The latest run is updating now so be ready for an update in a paragraph or two.

I'm not indicating I won't wake up to some white or off-white colors displayed on the grass or cars, but I also don't expect to see a street, even one hardly used, to be covered.  Points to the north could be a different story.  However, I can only go by reports to figure out what happens in places like Hamburg or Slatington.  I would say this.  Draw a straight line from west to east that goes through Reading and into NJ.  If you are south of that I don't think you will have too many issues.  This is a Lehigh Valley storm if you ask me along with the northern tier of Berks.

Still waiting for the model to update.  Thought I would share.


Kind of a case in point about what I was talking about.  Allentown is reporting snow.  It's raining here.  The difference?  It's 37 here and 36 there.  Who wants to explain?  Assuming I'm up I will post the 10:30 radar.

Latest run is in and if anything it went a little warmer.  Going to stick with instinct on this one.  Picture of conditions outside when I wake up to follow tomorrow to see if I will indeed be accurate (which is not much of anything).

1 comments:

Anonymous,  January 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM  

RD-Weather here overnight was a dusting of snow and a thin layer of sleet/ice all over everything...trees, shrubs, deck, roads, cars.

Hopefully, this will melt later on during the day.

DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP