Winter Weather Advisory

Less Shiver and River

>> Sunday, January 13, 2013

When I signed up for the Shiver series last year, an event consisting of runs in December, January, February and March, I was almost sure to be running in some of the worst conditions.  After all, runs are rarely if ever postponed.  Today marked the 6th time I have done one of these and I am seeing a meteorological pattern. 

I am starting to guess when I should expect bad weather based off when I have runs.  Trail runs tend to be wet, muddy or cooler than normal.  The Shiver series at least for me is favoring a warmer than average trend.  With today included, 5 of the 6 runs have had temperatures that day warmer than normal including one day last year at 62.  There also has yet to be even a coating of snow to contend with.  I believe I have run in shorts in almost all of these races.  That also includes today.

I can at least say that today was a nice surprise.  With forecast temperatures in the mid 50's at race time, I was expecting a warm day.  Instead it was about 46 with a mist heavy enough to wet your clothes and light enough to let water trickle down your face.  According to my tracker I had a successful time of 22:11 and better yet, the run measured out exactly at 3.1 miles.  However, once I crossed the line I realized a few things.  The race was packed with more people than usually.  At least that's the way it looked.  To leave you have to cross the line of runners coming in and runners going back out for another 5k.  You also have to drive along the same road they run on to leave the park and the same road they take out of the park that has limited lane usage.  Secondly, the conditions were almost perfect to run in.  A little warmer and I could have stayed out all day.  Finally, I don't get the chance to run much with the sunset still too early to get out after work.  The weekend is my only time.  Next weekend brings along the more challenging seven mile trail run.  This was my last run before that.  So I ran around the walking path at the park.  In fact I ran a slightly further 3.4 miles.  Good prep for the upcoming weekend.

Weather looks average for this one.  It was average last year too.

________________________________________________________________

There isn't a lot to report for our area.  But we knew that and are now waiting for the arctic chill to come into the area after next weekend.  That's all I really need as it at least gives us the chance to get snow.  There is a possible chance of some winter weather Monday night.  It won't be anything major but the littlest mix can cause issues.  Otherwise it looks quiet through the week.

BLIZZARD

If you think cities in the United States get a lot of snow, try going to Canada where most major cities get dumped on.  St. John's averages 140 inches a year.  Sitting on the far eastern side of an island in the northern Atlantic is a recipe for nasty weather.  Boy did they get some this week.  And over 100,000 people live in the city.

Here is what happens when you get a massive storm spinning over you.






I heard totals as high as at least 40 inches fell.  Not bad for an area not in the mountains or any lakes.  Can't imagine how long it takes for this to melt in an area that doesn't get above 32 often in winter.  I will have to watch to see if they get any more storms soon.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP