Winter Weather Advisory

Misses to Hits

>> Saturday, July 30, 2016

I previously talked about the lack of rain in some areas.  Today will not be one of those days as heavy amounts of rain should fall for most.  I hadn't taken notice of the difference until I went running this week.  My area is quite green.  To the point that everything would appear normal.  Travel south and it's a different story.  Grass looks more like hay that seems ready to burst into flames.

As of Friday Allentown has received over one and a half more inches of rain than Reading and will pass the five inch mark by the end of today.  Also of note July is on average the rainiest month for Allentown at almost five inches while for Reading it doesn't make the top three.  And for more useless information, Philadelphia receives less rainfall than Reading who receives less rainfall than Allentown in a typical year.

It's been a little while since I last asked the question about days over 95 or below 9.  Wouldn't you know we happened to have four straight days over 95 last week.  Now here is the answer for the past three years.  If you take anything out of this realize that in our area summer is pretty short and really not that bad.

Since 2014
Days Over 95 =  6
Days Below 9 = 50


Keeping with the rain theme, I had experienced very few instances this year where I ran in the rain.  In fact it was basically zero. Last night I decided to run to the Steel Stacks which I had yet to do this year.  There was a little blip on the radar which was headed in the direction of town.  I did my normal loop (and stopped at the running store).  Less than two minutes after I arrived the rain hit.  And it came down hard.  Many people went scrambling for cover.  I was hot so I stood on the lawn with more than a few others attendees.  I really enjoy a good rain.  It kept up for a good 20 minutes before slowly moving away.  As I left before it got dark it started up again when I got to the bridge.  I was thrilled and let out some woo's on the bridge.  Nothing like a good rain run.

I've failed to mention that over the past few days, and quite quickly I should add, tent city has emerged on the festside of town.  I'm not going to say the weather is going to be perfect for the 10 day stretch, but it is looking darn good.  No serious stretches of heat with temperatures right at average.  Garden variety shower or afternoon storm is possible, but that's about it.  Once again it looks like the festival will get great weather which is always a concern in early August.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  July 31, 2016 at 10:18 AM  

RD-Running in the rain...good! Running when there's thunder / lightening...bad!
DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP