Winter Weather Advisory

Light Event

>> Friday, December 28, 2012

First let's begin with the Wednesday event.  Looking back on it I think as poorly as the forecast might have perceived to be, I thought what happened was about right.  The only thing I had thought was we might end up with more snow than we did.  The trouble was, and I mentioned it in my post, we were directly in the battle zone, and you can't predict where that line will be.  The only thing you could do was sit back and watch.  And watch I did.

It started snowing around midday.  It became moderate but the winds made it appear as though it wasn't landing.  For once, nobody at work seemed to take any notice to the conditions as everybody kept going about their day.  By a little after three you could see the snow mixing with rain and sleet as I watched the wind billow the snow from the warehouse roof next door.  The mixing was the one thing I did not want as it was the only thing that could lead to bad roads.  I also knew the longer I stayed at work the better chance for all the moisture to turn into plain rain as temps rose slowly.  

When I came out to my car, it looked something like this.  It was basically a frozen box.  



I updated the totals on the right for the three PA locations to incorporate all the events we have had this year.  If you haven't been counting, we have had three accumulating snowfalls so far this "winter." Sorry Philadelphia, you have not been invited to the party.  The 4th snowfall of the season will change that tomorrow.

__________________________________________________________________


It has been on the maps since practically last weekend.  In fact it also has never wavered much in that it said it would be a snowstorm for us everyday.  The only key would be the track.  Obviously we see now that we will indeed get a generous amount tomorrow.

This is one of those perfect systems for me.  It is a daytime event that I can enjoy in whatever capacity I feel.  Maybe go out for a jog or watch from the deck.  It will be light enough that it doesn't become a travel nightmare but enough that it sticks around on the ground for awhile.  Unless you work or have some place to go it's a sit-in-the-house kind of day.

What are we looking at?  I'm surprised by all the random numbers.  This is a pretty easy one to take a stab at for snow totals.  Every place I've seen is between 1 and 5 inches with some places maybe pushing out a bit more.  Every run including tonight increases the precipitation just a tad which is a good thing if you are looking for a little more.  Everybody has an advisory which is good to see.  In fact the entire state has an advisory except for the two counties in northwest PA by the lake.  When I say good to see the advisory I mean it's nice to see they haven't gone all crazy and thrown out watches and warnings (see Cincinnati).

If I was to throw out a guess, and I will, I say Reading and Allentown come in around 3.2 and 3.7 respectively.  For the record that is on the low side according to the advisory posted.  

Enjoy the fresh powder tomorrow.  Photos to follow as I will try to get pictures of all the events this winter.


WRITER'S NOTE:

Maybe it is me, but when looking at the snow totals for our area I keep thinking how small they are.  The truth of the matter is that with the snow that falls tomorrow Allentown and Reading will both be ahead of the average snowfall year to date.  I know seven or eight inches doesn't sound like much especially when that could come from one storm, but there are still three months of winter to go.  The next 10 days will all be cold until the model shows a warmup around January 10th.  All we need are some systems to move through.  It's not looking promising, but anything is something I will take.  There could even be a little light snow or flurries for New Year's Eve and day.   

1 comments:

Anonymous,  December 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

RD-Good blog and nice photo.

Will let you know what happens in my neck of the NJ woods.

DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP