Winter Weather Advisory

What the ??

>> Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wasn't going to post tonight but things turned wild and I knew I had to come on. 

So we wake up to snow on the ground, some places seeing much more than others.  A change to rain and mist later in the day with highs in the mid 30's (Note to self: next time running in a wind driven mist at 37 degrees, wear long pants).  That was nasty.  I've ran all winter, in snow and cold and this was the first time I seriously contemplated turning around.  I flip on TWC after my little run and see one of those orange warnings going across the screen.  Huh?  Apparently thunderstorms with lightning are on the way.  Is this a joke.  It's 35 degrees out with snow on the ground.  Sure enough, rumbles of thunder begin and bright flashes of light bounce around. 

A mere hour later and snow is back on the radar.  And not just a dinky flurry.  Check this out. 

15 hour snow forecast off the HRRR models.  Those yellows and oranges are 4-5 inches through tomorrow late morning.  Any shade of blue is less than two inches.  


This is becoming borderline nutty.  Whether this actually occurs is debatable, though this model has been the best one I've seen at predicting snow totals.  Maybe because it only goes out 15 hours instead of 15 days.  Regardless, we go from 8 to 10 inches of snow in the Poconos, to severe weather and even tornadoes in western PA to another round of at least some snow. 

A few days ago I even deleted my running track of total snowfall in Allentown this year thinking the season was over.  Well now I have to take an educated guess adding the 2.1 inches from this morning and the models... oh my.  That will be for another post. 

1 comments:

Anonymous,  March 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM  

RD-In Glen Gardner, NJ we had some thunder and lightening last night...very cool! And about another 2" of snow fell over night.

Hey RD, if the temp is under 40 degrees, dress appropriately when you run! Frostbite can occur on ANY part of exposed skin! And you want to ensure you keep your 'privates' warm!!!
DJG

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP