Winter Weather Advisory

A Runner's World

>> Monday, October 31, 2011

When I signed up a week prior to the race held in Wyomissing on Sunday, I was not expecting to see snow on the ground.  That distinction would go to later races this year including the four-part series monthly races throughout winter.  My power was off from mid-afternoon until that night.  I prepared for the race anyway not knowing if it had been canceled or not.  When power finally came back on I went straight for my e-mail.  Race On!!

The driveway was already shoveled with my anticipation for leaving in the morning.  After all, nobody wants to go running after shoveling concrete for an hour.  I was a bit unsure about the turnout.  I knew a lot of the area was without power and anybody coming from a distance for the popular annual event would probably stay safely at home.  I parked in the area specified for the event about 45 minutes before the start.  Not a lot of cars.  It took a nice walk to get to the park and it wasn't long before you could see what October snow can do.

The heart of Wyomissing is filled with nice homes and tree lined streets.  And not rinky dink sized trees either.  As I turned on the road that led me to the park, branches were everywhere.  Snow was falling off limbs.  Yards were littered with leaves.  The road was a sloppy mess.  But in the distance there was a crowd.  We all stood in front of the large pavilion nestled in what I assume is a lovely park.  Forgive me if I can't recall much.  Most of the next 30 minutes was spent trying to keep warm and avoid the falling snow.  Both were hard to do.  At a crisp 30 degrees, surrounded by hundreds of trees, a hill and a pavilion, the sun never, and I mean never even came close to cracking through.  It did however keep people on their toes.  It was a constant barrage of snow from above.  Nothing that did damage or at least that I noticed.  Nobody was safe.

The course was now on its third route.  The first replaced by a friendlier road race due to the snow.  That changed race day when trees were blocking the course.  I headed up to the starting line in the middle of the pack.  It's fun to run but I don't need to be at the front sprinting around the first turn.  Besides, I knew a couple people from other activities that I talked to before the run.  If anything I knew this would be a bit of a challenge with parts of the road still covered in snow and leaves.  Then we were off. 

I love running in the cold.  It gives me the feeling I could run forever.  I did what is becoming a bit of a starting line tradition for me and started passing people by the bunches as we headed down the first road.  By the time we hit the first snow-free road, I had passed 50-100 people.  I had my sights set on more.  Throughout the next 2.5 miles I passed 10 or 15 more runners before heading towards the uphill climb when I was passed for the first time.  I had enjoyed the run even though the water from the snow made its way through my shoes.  I wasn't going for personal bests but just a solid and safe run.  I made my way up the extended incline back to the starting line.  No need to sprint in these conditions.  I finished a respectable 39th.  The only person to pass me finished in 40th. 

In total over 300 people showed up on a day that you would have expected in January.  It was the most I have ever run with.  And I know it won't keep that title for long.  You see, I'm not the only person who enjoys going out in less than ideal conditions.  There was also a half marathon in Gettysburg the same day that drew over 400 people and at least five races that Pretzel City Sports timed on the day of the snowstorm.

I have two more runs lined up for November.  One during the day in the farm country; the other at night in the city.  Both should draw about 200.  Then the series begins in December.  A series where runners came from six different states last year and my best 5k time would not even get me in the top 50.

In the meantime, you will see me out there along with my fellow adventurers.  When you pass, give us some room.  And remember, don't think we are crazy.  We laugh.   


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP