Winter Weather Advisory

Seasonal Battle

>> Friday, February 18, 2011

In one corner we have winter, in the other spring.  Assuming we are in a rectangular room there are two others corners, one which contained the office bug and the other myself.  They all collided in the middle this week. 

I fared pretty well.  The other three people around me missed a combined five days.  I averaged nine hour days all week.  I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple while fighting back.  The first day I didn't feel well, I drank tons of fluids like tea, water and Gatorade.  I also ran three miles.  I kept eating my normal meals but packed lots of nutrients into the early meals.  Kept the drinking going throughout the day and used medicine only when I felt I needed to.  Even when I got home I did something active.  A 30-minute brisk walk on a treadmill or a little roller hockey, anything to keep my body going.  If I wasn't feeling it, I called it a day and got as much sleep as I could.  Other people looked like they were hit by train, while I got clipped by the breeze.  It goes to show that a healthy lifestyle of eating well, drinking water and exercising (granted, I go well overboard compared to most) goes a long way during this time of year.

This all leads to enjoying the other battle during this often strange and intriguing time of year.  The highs in Allentown starting last Saturday went as follows, 38, 42, 52 then 35, 43, 60 to 66 today.  Remember I said enjoy Thursday and Friday and the snow would be gone by the weekend?  Even I didn't see it getting that warm.  And what follows record breaking temperatures, weekend highs around 40 with winds approaching 60 mph tomorrow.  Craziness.     

This transition from season to season reminds me of the fall to winter change except with more fireworks.  If you look west you will see the mountain locations getting pummeled.  Lake Tahoe, Flagstaff and the mountains of Utah and Colorado are expecting a foot while the Dakota's and Minneapolis braces for a early week storm.  And what about snow in our forecast?  It's hard to imagine going from 70 to snow a couple days later but that just might be the case.  In fact, looking at the long range, the beginning of March is looking pretty cool.  

Haven't been showing maps because of the site rules that I don't choose to break so I'm back to the public maps to show what Tuesday morning could look like and the possibility of snow.


Again, the dark blue line is the "rain/snow" line.  At this point the models actually have the storm passing to our south which is kind of funny since the system moving through later Sunday will pass us to the north giving much of New York state a chance of snow.  Meaning, there might be a middle ground (perhaps our area) that misses the snow both times.

We will see.  It's good to be back!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP