Winter Weather Advisory

All Calm on the Eastern Front

>> Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The totals are in, or at least in for who reported and it seemed like everything unfolded as planned.  My predictions for Reading were just about spot on.  I couldn't find a report for the city, but just to the north here I measured right around 4.5 inches.  My Lehigh Valley totals ended up being a bit on the high end, and I wanted to quickly get into the reasoning.  Because many locations in Berks ended up getting the same or slightly more than points to the east.

The western storm that was to transfer energy over to the coastal low took longer to come about than originally thought.  The storm moving through central PA ended up being stronger than anticipated, bringing heavy snow all the way across into Berks County.  As the storms phased the snow filled in across the Lehigh Valley, but in the transfer, the coastal storm took over, weakening the western storm.  The Valley ended up almost being right in the middle of the transfer, keeping totals a little less than I though.  But that's weather. 

I mentioned in my post yesterday afternoon that our snowfall would be a dusting compared to southern New England.  On the right are the front runners, hailing from southern Connecticut, for highest amounts from the storm.


_____________________________________________________________________

Now We Look Ahead

Cold and wind almost always seem to accompany a departing storm and this one will be no different.  The isobars are packed tight on the WRF model right into Thursday with temps struggling to hit 30.

The weekend should be pleasant, if you compare it with the next few days, with temps climbing slightly and much less wind.  I've seen a couple weather outlets putting out a chance for a snow shower either Saturday night or Sunday.  I wouldn't sweat it.  The system is weak and to the north.

I don't want to gaze too far out to miss what is right in front, but there should be a warming trend next week that would put the next storm (Tues-Wed) into the liquid classification.  The cold air will come surging back quickly though.  Don't want to get ahead of myself.


While the calmness lingers over our area for at least a couple days, I will have some time to make some posts about what is going on in other places around the globe.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  January 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM  

RD - Thanks for your weather blog. I like your commentary and 'predictions.' Have you considered linking your blog to other weather blogs or to The Weather Channel?
DJG

r. david January 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM  

If I can get the look I am going for, that would be the next step. If you type "philly weather" into google, the first site is a blogspot site. That would be a goal. Any ideas that you'd like to see as a casual observer, let me know.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP