Winter Weather Advisory

No Rest For the Weathered

>> Thursday, January 13, 2011

Between the talk leading up to the last storm, this week has really flown by.  As I was about to expand the weather window by taking a look at the rest of the country and world, I realized there is a lot to talk about for our area in the next five days.  So let's get to it!

I'm not into any type of hype for storms because it usually ends up being all for not, but looking at the last GFS model, which is the general long-termed forecast model, there are six different systems moving through in the next two and a half weeks.  Again, nothing to read into there except that I expect to be busy focusing on our general area.

I have to start with the system moving though the Great Lakes region this weekend.  I was fairly confident that the system would dissipate and move slightly north of the area anyway.  I've noticed I seem to be the only one in that boat as both Accuweather and TWC have snow in the forecast for Saturday.  For now, I'm rowing alone.

Even if some snow does come through, the real story becomes the storm that arrives Tuesday into Wednesday.  It's too early for maps and deep discussions but this is what I can say.  It appears as if two lows, one from the south and one from the west will come together.  Sound familiar?  EXCEPT, this occurs somewhere in the middle portion of the country.  The jet stream lifts along the east coast, drawing warmer air up from the south.  Instead of moving up the coast, the storm takes the Appalachian path.  I think this would be a good point in time to bring this talk to an end.  There are way too many variables to discuss this a full five days in advance.

_______________________________________________________________

If the models and myself come around for the system on Saturday, maps and a post will follow tomorrow night for strictly that particular event.  If I still fail to see what the others apparently do, I will be back to look at a rare phenomenon, snow on the ground in 49 states.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP