Winter Weather Advisory

Calm Before the Storm?

>> Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I've got a lot to discuss and not a lot of time to do it in, but here we go.  Let's start right with what could be coming on Friday.  I've talked since the beginning of the week about the clipper headed in our direction for Friday.  Well once again, not a whole lot has changed on the models.  A few things have however.

Originally, it looked like a low would form and take over off the coast of New England.  Now the GFS shows the low forming off the coast of New Jersey and bringing the heavier snow south.  But remember in my previous posts that New England was in line for the storm, so a shift south would more likely affect portions of New York.  Read and take a look at my last posts and maps to see.

Here is the GFS model on Friday afternoon.  Notice the darker green swath in central New York.

 
Still, it is too early to determine the fate of the local area but I maintain like I have all week that this is mostly a storm for our northern neighbors.  We will see some snow out of this but at the current time we are not in the zone for a major accumulation.

I wanted to share a different map, other then the GFS as that one I have been using frequently.  Here is a look at the North American Model with the precipitation as the storm moves in Friday.  This image is Friday evening.  Again, the valley and surrounding areas are in the snow, but the area to the north is in the heavier bands that are being fed moisture from the Atlantic. 



I hope to get a snow map up by Thursday for this system.  Like most winter storms, there is already a new storm that the models are picking up for next week and the weather community is jumping on.  Hence my title, whereas the calm in this case is the light snow we will be seeing on Friday.  But I dare not get ahead of myself, after all, that is what I set out not to do here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP